KAKAO is not processed or tempered, meaning if it is exposed to high temperatures and/or humidity, it will melt. We assure you, your KAKAO is 100% in perfect condition to still enjoy. If it is no longer in powder form to scoop out, you have a few easy options:
Option 1: Break off a few pieces and use a kitchen scale to weigh out 40-50 grams. Prepare as normal.
Option 2: Put the broken chunks of KAKAO into a food processor, to make it into a powder form again. Prepare as normal with 4-5 tbsp.
KAKAO has very very little caffeine, as it is ceremonial grade. I (Makenzie) personally cannot have ANY caffeine due to an already overstimulated nervous system, and yet 2 cups of KAKAO per day serve me extremely well!
If your higher guidance says yes, then I would let the spirit of Cacao nourish your nervous system, connect you to your higher self and guide you throughout this journey of body, mind, and spirit.
Check out this blog post that Michael wrote on how cacao affects the brain & body:
There really is no such thing as fully raw cacao, and there is a lot of miseducation our there now that ‘raw cacao powder’ has become trend in the health-food world.
As per the standards that other ‘raw cacao’ companies abide by, YES we are ‘raw’ because we do not temper or heat our cacao paste. With that said, all cacao beans must be fermented and lightly toasted. We source roasted cacao beans which are required to make drinking chocolate, and no further heating happens from there.
No nutrients are lost when lightly toasting, which is why you can make our KAKAO into a hot cup of drinking chocolate without damaging any of the nutrients that make cacao the superfood that it is.
Furthermore, our KAKAO is specifically made to evoke the power of the cacao spirit. Yes, cacao is a superfood and very good for the brain & body, however we go about our KAKAO-Making/Blessing with the intention of delivering a plant medicine that people can use to access their heart space in daily ceremony/meditation. Beyond the physical body, our KAKAO accesses DNA and chakra systems to upgrade and shift consciousness further in alignment with the person’s Soul.
‘Raw Cacao Powder’ is a derivative of the cacao bean, making it an easy addition to smoothies and healthy desserts. Our KAKAO, however, is much different. KAKAO uses the *whole* cacao bean, meaning all cocoa butter is still present.
A few other other distinct differences:
1. We source Chuncho Cacao beans from Peru and Criollo Cacao from Guatemala. These are native strains of cacao that ensure Mother Earth’s true intention and power is present in your drinking chocolate. Most companies do not elaborate on which strain they source, often times because they don’t know or it is a hybrid. We avoid all man-made, hybrid or genetically modified strains and our mission as a non-profit is to help save the native strains that are currently endangered due to cross-pollination and commercialization.
2. We do not use any commercial processing equipment when creating KAKAO. A traditional stone grinder from Central America is used to create our drinking chocolate from the whole cacao beans. This is very important as we want the vibration of the cacao to stay extremely high and in alignment with Mother Earth.
3. We bless our KAKAO very intentionally with frequencies of love, compassion, abundance and Unity Consciousness. Our KAKAO is to be used *by itself*, in daily ceremony/meditation, versus as an add-in or simple superfood. (KAKAO is *not* made for smoothies or baking!!) KAKAO is a powerful plant medicine, that when embraced properly in Sacred Ceremony, can upgrade your DNA, open your heart, help you access creativity, and bring you further into alignment with your Higher Self.
We travel with KAKAO all the time! We weight out 4-5 tbsp in a sachet before we go so that the measuring is already done. We bring insulated keep-cups and this amazing electric mixer that can be brought on a plane. Check it out here.
Our KAKAO recipe never changes, however because we use *native, organic, unaltered* cacao beans, there will be differences in the earthiness, creaminess/cacao butter-content, etc based on the season & climate.
Large chocolate-making corporations go to great extent to ensure their beans & products taste exactly the same every time, typically at the sacrifice of what mother earth actually intended.
KAKAO 501c3 non-profit is committed to purchasing native beans from the cacao farmers, and keeping them unadulterated in any way.
Feel free to always play with the KAKAO you receive to make it your own. You can be sure that you are receiving very pure, sacred, ceremonial-cacao that will open your heart, access your emotional body, spark your creativity, and connect you to Life in a deep way. From a taste standpoint, be playful & creative: add your own chile powder, vanilla extract, coconut oil, maca powder, cinnamon, or other superfoods.
We offer two types of cacao, both native and ceremonial-grade:
1. Peruvian Blend: We source Chuncho cacao beans from Peru, and add in ingredients to make your life simpler: Panela (organic sugar from Peru or Columbia), Vanilla Extract and Chile Powder. When you receive this blend, you can add it to the blender with a bit of coconut oil and that's it! It of course holds the energy of Peru's sacred lands; we work directly with the chuncho cacao farmers in Quillabamba and are currently transitioning production from LA to Lima, Peru in order to give back to these lands/people in an even bigger way.
2. Guatemalan Pure: We source Criollo cacao paste from Guatemala. There are no other ingredients in this product; we have chopped it up for you to make your life easier, however you will need to add your sweetener of choice, vanilla, chile & anything else you prefer. For recipe & more details click here. We work directly with our farmer, Laurent, at his finca in Alta Verapaz, Guatemala. Laurent is dedicated to harvesting & saving this precious, native strain of cacao (Criollo) that is currently endangered.
This heart medicine is calling us all forth to share her in a bigger way.
The world is so, so ready for her assistance in opening our hearts across the globe and dropping into daily ceremony.
We have had so many people ask us recently for our ‘blessing’ to lead their own ceremonies and conscious events utilizing KAKAO.
Yes yes yes.
You have our blessing and support. We couldn’t be more honored to be a part of this movement. And yet we are only ONE small part.
Ceremonial Cacao is simply a connector, meaning the opportunities are endless. Add KAKAO into the gatherings that you create and lead in your community. Whether it’s conscious comedy, couples' retreats, sound healing, yoga and breathwork classes, moon circles, support groups, and sooo much more, KAKAO has the power to supercharge the connection, heart-opening and intention for all of your offerings. .
Our top 5 tips for sharing KAKAO with your friends, family and community:
1. Let the spirit of cacao guide you.
2. Your higher guidance and personal intuition is more powerful than anything Michael and I could ever give you.
3. Remember the sacredness of this plant medicine.
4. Always set intentions and invite those you are sharing with to do the same (whether verbally or inwardly).
5. Be open to miracles!
Continue on in our FAQ section for more information on how to make KAKAO for groups, and more!
Right now, we sell at one price on our website. There are about 12 servings per bag of KAKAO, so divide $25 (+ shipping) by 12 = $2.08 per serving before shipping. We recommend that you charge ticket prices for all ceremonies, and include at least $5-10 to cover the cost of KAKAO, shipping, cups, and wooden spoons.
Creating a sacred space before people arrive is an essential part of holding cacao ceremonies.
This may include:
Cleansing the space with Sage and/or Palo Santo; diffusing essential oils, cleaning/clearing space, setting up comfy seats, laying out crystals, oracle cards, candles, music, and whatever else you are guided to.
You can also ask people to bring yoga mats and/or cushions if you don't have enough seating space. We love holding cacao ceremonies on the floor, in a circle, while keeping in mind that some people may have trouble sitting on the floor for that long (so may need to lay down).
Decide how you want people to enter the space:
Do you want people to wait outside the room & enter when the ceremony is ready to commence; gather in the space beforehand (I'd recommend having a chime to ring when it’s time!)? Or do you want people to enter the space when they arrive, receive their KAKAO & sit quietly while waiting for the ceremony opening?
We like to have people sit quietly with their KAKAO in the space they choose to sit; you can tell them to drink their KAKAO while hot, or you can have them wait until opening blessing is complete. Ask the spirit of cacao to guide you on this.
Let everyone know that KAKAO is a plant medicine; ask them to invite in the Spirit of Cacao to their heart. It is in reverence to the medicine & to Gaia for gifting it to us. You can speak about KAKAO & cacao (the plant) -I recommend reading some of the info on our website & sharing the information that speaks to you - don’t worry about sharing all of it!
Invite people to set their intentions/sip their KAKAO when they receive
it as it takes 30-40 minutes to fully activate in the system.
You may want to share some of your own personal experiences with KAKAO, your connection to the medicine is what is gathering people in ceremony.
Share an opening blessing from your heart!
Create space for a period of meditation. You may choose to guide it yourself, listen to a guided meditation, or have a period of silence with music. This can last however long you feel appropriate.
You may choose to open the space & ask people to share their intentions, or you may have a guided question.
Anything else you would like to add into your sacred space: music, toning, breath work, sacred sounds, journaling, intentional sharing, affirmations, etc.
This comes from the heart! Personal invites are best. Share that you are creating a sacred space for connection to self, each other, and your community. If you are hosting this ceremony with a specific intention in mind, share about it! You may feel called to share why you are desiring to create this space in your community &/or why you feel called to invite him/her.
Cacao ceremonies can be one-on-one, say with you and your close friend, or they can be for a group. There is no right or wrong, so follow your guidance and always have the intention to open your heart and connect from that place.
Yakit is our newest shipping partner for KAKAO orders outside of the USA. Yakit combines shipping cost (at competitive rates), and any international fees / customs charges for the country you are shipping to. It’s important to note that Yakit’s shipping speed is shown in BUSINESS days; Yakit typically predicts international shipping to take 6-12 BUSINESS days to deliver. When tracking a package, it will always show the latest possible date as the ‘estimated delivery date’ - with that said, it will typically show up before then!
Because KAKAO is sacred plant medicine, we only sell our products online. This way, it is kept sacred and in fullest alignment. If you are called to drink, share or sell at your store/event/community, that is wonderful and you can purchase on our website as per normal.
As a registered 501c3 non-profit, we have kept our prices as low as possible (one price for all) in order to cover our expenses and also give back to the Peruvian & Guatemalan farmers.